RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: Kent Newton <KNewton -at- mke -dot- catalystwms -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:10:34 -0600

I personally am ambivalent to unions for high tech jobs. But it seems to me
that everyone has focused on unions in the workplace, that is, how unions
negotiate contracts, settle grievances, etc. Many people have pointed out
that they are more than capable of negotiating their own contracts and
settling their own grievances. Fair enough.

Everyone seems to be overlooking the role of the union as lobbyist. (If it
was discussed, I missed it.) Sure, individuals may be more than capable of
handling their own career in the workplace, but how many people have the
time and energy to keep up with state and federal labor laws, let alone the
influence to lobby legislature for labor laws that aren't biased toward
business. Big businesses (i.e., Microsoft) have the time, expertise, and
resources to lobby for changes at both the state and federal level. What
individual has the wherewithal to match that kind of effort? It seems to me
that unions help the individual fight for their goals in the political
arena.

Thoughts?

Kent Newton

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp