RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:00:01 +1100

Andrew - to take the complete obverse argument from you - do you HONESTLY
believe that employing ad hoc processes as the status quo is the better road
to take? I've bit my tongue on NUMEROUS occasions, as I believe you are a
great counterpoint to the "Lets spend all out time just documenting our
job", which is something I personally am perhaps too fond of.

HOWEVER, this attitude can be taken too far. At some point - given little /
no down-time, do you not agree that time needs to be allocated to
standardising and documenting the required business functions performed by
the technical publications department? I feel that the results (known
processes, with known results over pre-determined periods) far outway the
time spent.

ISO9001 was the end-result of a large number of large companies seeking to
improve their processes through consistant application of solid principles.
Obviously you have a much better system and all the standards bodies of the
world know jack-all compared to you.

So, how do you guarentee quality? Oh - Mr Plato works on it. Well the rest
of us need some sort of auditable proof.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)