RE: Help without manuals

Subject: RE: Help without manuals
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:57:53 -0000

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. That is an excellent summary of the whole
single-sourcing conundrum. I agree that, given the current tools, it is
definitely simpler to go from print to online help, and not the reverse
order. I don't necessarily agree with your statement that "Print content
should include more than online help." First off, where does that leave all
of the products that have no printed material and are help system only? More
importantly, you can include as much information as you want in a help
system...it just depends on how well you chunkolate (to use a banned word
meaning "to split up") it. If the user can access the information they need
when they need it, the delivery medium is unimportant.

I've only skimmed the surface of the "real" single-sourcing tools, but Epic
from Arbortext is one of these. I expect you still have to make compromises
when single-sourcing with this tool, but you're probably better off than the
"discount" models.

To offer an additional conclusion to your mail, ideally we wouldn't have to
single-source at all. In my experience, the less process, the more writing.
Thanks. DB.

<snip>

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr