Re: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: Re: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 13:18:03 -0800

Kelly Werner wrote:

I believe the reason people 'invent' these words is two-fold: they want to
sound more intelligent ( emphasis on the word SOUND ) and/or they want to
coin a new buzz word. Of course there is always the possibility that they
just misheard something and no one ever corrected them. I used to work for a
man who called us his ' luxurious' staff when he meant 'illustrious'.

Another reason may be that writers aren't the only ones who enjoy playing with language - it's just that most people aren't very good at it.

"And still they stand triumphant and immense,
The silent lines of marble monuments,
And soon the writhing seas will cease to writhe,
The specks of gray ash float to rest, and there will be
Perfect peace...complete calm...the maximum of - Order."
- Leon Rosselson, "The World Police"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr