Re: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: Re: Software Text Incorrect
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 06 Nov 2001 17:33:05 -0500

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 16:26, TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com wrote:
> If there is a misspelled word (of course this could apply to crazy
> programmer abbreviations) on the software screen, would you show the
> field
> name or term in your documentation the way it is represented in the
> software?

I run into this from time to time with our software. The most common
instance is an acronym spelled out differently than the "official"
definition. In my docs, I refer to the item by the name on screen and
provide an aside that refers to the official term.

For example:

official definition = uin: unique identification number
on screen label = unique identifying number

my text = "Please fill in the unique identifying number field with
_blah_. Elsewhere, unique identifying number may also be known as unique
identification number.

Meg

--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is
indistinguishable from molasses.
-- Unknown

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr