RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:41:59 -0800 (PST)

> What are you and others doing? How do you write usable
> documentation when
> you haven't any idea who your audience is? How do you write usable
> documentation when you know that your audience ranges from novice
> to very
> technical and everything has to be in a single document? Sometimes
> this can be really frustrating, but it's always a challenge.

I determine whether to use a word such as that by doing exactly what
I did for prepend.

I'll hear a word that sounds "off". However, before discarding the
word, I'll enter the word in Google. If the hits that I get seem
legitimate and seem to be used in the context of what I THINK is my
audience (do we ever know 100% certain?), I'll strongly consider
using it. OTOH, if I get few hits and the ones that I do seem weak,
I'll go back to the source and ask if they can show me where they've
seen it used. If they can, again, I'll strongly consider it. If they
can't, I'll probably discard it.

If the word is legit but I think that maybe it is not known by a
segment of the readers, there is always something called a footnote
to explain the word.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr