RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:53:16 -0000

>As an aside, I
was fascinated with the book, _The Madman and the Professor_, which has a
different title in the UK. (Sorry Jane C., I don't know the UK title.) It's
the history of the development of the OED.

It's by Simon Winchester. The original (UK) title is _The Surgeon of
Crowthorne_, but I suspect this was not considered catchy enough for a US
audience. <g> After all, American children were not expected to appreciate
"the philosopher's stone", even though Professor Dumbledore himself defines
it in the course of the book. (Obligatory Harry Potter reference...)

from the Amazon review: "Subtitled 'A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love
of Words', this is a remarkable account of the life of W.C. Minor. Not a
famous name, but a quite extraordinary man. Minor was an American Army
surgeon and millionaire who contributed enormously by post to the first,
epic edition of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) while hidden away in
obscurity in Berkshire, England. As the author points out, the OED is the
most important work of reference ever created, and, given the globalisation
of the English language, is likely to remain so for centuries. But when in
1896 Sir James Murray, the formidable editor of the OED, at last travelled
down to Berkshire to find this elusive lexicographer and thank him for all
his work, he found Minor in Broadmoor: patient Number 742."

Jane Carnall
Could you re-write this by tomorrow so we can ship it with the product?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr