Re: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: Re: Software Text Incorrect
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:01:32 -0800

First I'll send email to the programmer pointing out the error. If I get absolutely NO response, I'll file a bug on the software. It's then up to the bug triage team to determine both the priority of the bug and whether it needs to be fixed for this release. If it's going to be fixed for this release, I'll document it the way it should be. Otherwise, I'll document the error.

Sue Ellen Adkins

At 4:26 PM -0500 11/6/01, TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com wrote:

If there is a misspelled word (of course this could apply to crazy
programmer abbreviations) on the software screen, would you show the field
name or term in your documentation the way it is represented in the
software?

I usually point it out to the programmer, but it is not my responsibility
to make them change it.
So I spell or treat the term the way it appears on the screen in the user
guide, and then I explain the unabbreviated or correct word in the field
definition - or paranthetical phrase depending...

I was just wondering how other writers handle this? Especially in a company
where the software screens do not heed to any specifications on terms or
styles, this is something that is frustrating. I read somewhere that the
technical writer should not try to compensate for the software's
shortcomings - if the documentation does not match the software, then the
users get confused. I know I would.

Tina Dean

=^.^=
*

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr