RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words

Subject: RE: (Slight) HUMOUR: Banned Words
From: "Gilda Spitz" <gspitz -at- longview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:49:07 -0500

Thank you to Keith Cronin and Kelly Werner, for pointing out the rich
tradition of made-up words in network television. As long as we're on
the topic, I must mention my two favourites:

In the old Mary Tyler Moore show, two characters are playing Scrabble.
Rhoda triumphantly lays down all seven tiles. Phyllis challenges her:
"Exmyrsis? That's not a word!" Rhoda replies: "Ah Phyllis, don't tell me
that someone who is as up on psychology as you are, doesn't know the
meaning of the word exmyrsis!" An embarrassed Phyllis retreats, saying
"Oh, EXmyrsis! I thought you were trying to say OXmyrsis, which I happen
to know is NOT a word, Rhoda!"

And now, my all time favourite:

In the old Dick Van Dyke show, Rob and Laura have accidentally overheard
a private conversation between their neighbours Jerry and Millie. Millie
is puzzled that a recipe, which she had gotten from Laura, hasn't worked
out properly, and wonders aloud if Laura perhaps omitted an ingredient
intentionally. Laura is shocked and insulted that Millie would even
think such a thing. Rob gets all worked up in Laura's defence, and tries
to find the right word to express his outrage. Finally, he declares
indignantly "That's.... that's .... malicious accusory!"

(Sorry if this is off-topic Eric, but I'm having so much fun with this
thread!)

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation Services
Longview Solutions Inc.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr