RE: The Problem is not MS, but OS(was Microsoft, Monopolies, and Rum)

Subject: RE: The Problem is not MS, but OS(was Microsoft, Monopolies, and Rum)
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:33:22 -0800

> What needs to happen now, for Microsoft to truly be challenged, is for
computer mfgs. to load alternative operating systems, such as Linux, on
PC's.

> Michael D. Jeter

Keith Cronin opines:

The problem with that idea is that the "average computer user" (who is
NOT
the same as the average tech writer) does not want another OS. One is
enough. One is simple. If it's one a lot of other people use, then it
will
be easy to get assistance/sympathy from friends, family, and coworkers.

<snip>

Kinda reminds me of the cliche, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

However, it not over yet. We have a rising generation that won't
necessarily buy into MS marketing. My 7 year-old grandson likes the
games that come with BSD, KDE, and GNOME better than Windows. His old
486, his backpack, and his notebook for school are all covered with
S.u.S.E. stickers. In another 7 years, I'll bet that MS will be as
uncool as Wal-Mart no-name sneakers.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr