RE: Production cycle knowledge

Subject: RE: Production cycle knowledge
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:23:09 -0800

> Did you gain your knowledge of the
> production cycle (software or hardware)
> on the job, or did you take a course that
> gave you some insight into the process?

On the job.

> Would training in this area have helped
> you be more effective when you first
> started working as a technical writer?

Well, I can't say the great mysteries of life were exposed when I learned
about software product life cycles. But qualitatively, I guess anything you
already know is that much less to learn on the job. It can't hurt. Also,
writers who know the dev cycle will have a better understanding of when
changes that impact them might occur, and will be less surprised when
changes do happen.

> Was there something about the product
> development cycle that was particularly
> valuable to learn?
No.

You might take a look at Rational Unified Process. It is something of a
collection of software/eBusiness development _best practices_ that can be
adapted to a company's particular situation. Best practices type of info
sometimes seem to smack of restating the obvious, but there is almost always
something an organization can take from them.

www.rational.com has plenty of info at their website, as well as free online
seminars if you are interested.

Richard Smith

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr