RE: Font substitution - umlauts subbed ok?

Subject: RE: Font substitution - umlauts subbed ok?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:44:45 -0800

Problem 1 is that Frame is consistent across platforms rather than
faithful to the platform on which it runs. This becomes apparent
when you try to access the extended character set of the font you're
using -- in Frame, the shortcut keys are different than they are in
Windows.

Problem 2 is that Airel is the Windows Unicode font. Not only does
it contain characters for German, French, and other European languages,
but it also contains Cyrilic, Korean, Japanese, ...

My hunch is that if you are able to purchase Rotis in Unicode, all
will be well; but that's just a guess. Similarly, if your translation
company does not use a Unicode font and the font that it does use is
mapped the same as Rotis (i.e. ASCII or ANSI Std), you should have no
problems.

Be that as it may, Murphy has that law, y'know. ;-) Seems to me that
$150 is a small amount to pay for that much business insurance. I'd go
ahead and buy the font (after verifying that Rotis contains all the
characters you need for German, that is).

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com