Re: OT RE: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: OT RE: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat -at- viragelogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:37:48 -0800

"Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EPA)" wrote:

> Hmmm some interesting threads in this discussion:
>
> Walden Miller's observation's for example, on the size of the IOWA State
> University Technical Writing Department: Iowa State University, there were
> 28 full-time tech writing professors
> and the department was growing"....and the observation that the field of
> technical writing is very old - anyone know of any REAL old examples of
> technical writing that have survived to the current day that might be of
> interest (perhaps how to weave from Medieval France?).

Mebbe they dinna cauld it Taichnikal Wraiting, but what would you call
-- to use the example most likely to get me at least a slap on the wrist
from from Eric -- the, er, um ... Kama Sutra? Is that nary a How-to
manual? [Okay, so my Medieval diction sux.] And "of interest", well, you
might say so.

And funny you mention Medieval France. Merrill Whitburn [Professor at
RPI's Language, Lit. & Communication Dept -- reputedly the first to
offer a Graduate degree in Tech Writing] always held up the Legal
Scribes of Venice okay, so that was Italy; but Medieval it war] as an
early example of really organized Tech Writing. They had Guilds'n'stuff.
Don't ask me to for detailed defense of that position; Merrill was
writing a book on that subject if I remember right.

Sabahat.