Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: "~B." <brainwise -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:16:32 -0500

I do not have a degree in technical writing. My college did not have a full
program for that line of study. I do, however, have two minors: on in
English and one in Technical Writing. Both minors are in the English
Department. My actual degree? A Bachelor of Science in Physics.

I realized I was much better at writing than I was at scientific research.
;)

But seriously, after the handful of extra classes I took to get my TW minor,
all of my real education in this field has occurred "on the job." Oh, and
in my first few years as a professional technical writer, I found STC
publications and members to be a valuable (if often "ivory tower-ish)
resource.

Now, do I wish that my background included a full-blown degree in TW? Nah,
I wouldn't change a thing.

Brian Weis
Senior (albeit lone) Technical Writer
Real Media

Work: brianw -at- realmedia -dot- com
Home: brainwise -at- home -dot- com

From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:01:13 -0800

At time when very few believe in a liberal education, tech-writing can
seem like the start of the conversion of English departments into
vocational colleges. This fear is not elitism (or, if it is, then call
me an elitist), but concern for the loss of a concept very close to many
people's hearts. It can be practically defended on the grounds that
vocational training becomes obsolete more easily as the demands and
fashions of business change, but the real opposition comes from the
belief that a liberal education makes a more humane and civilized
person. There are few enough places today where a liberal education is
valued, and tech-writing courses appear to undermine one of the last of
them.

When I run the world, tech-writing courses will be confined to training
colleges where they belong. But, then, I feel the same about Business
degrees, and nobody listened to me on that subject, either (the fools!).