Re: Necessity of Doc Plans for a Single Chapter or Section

Subject: Re: Necessity of Doc Plans for a Single Chapter or Section
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:38:22 -0800 (PST)

"tekWriter tekWriter" wrote...

> I would like to know whether or not it is typical to create a complete
doc
> plan for a single chapter or even a sub-section of a chapter. For
example,
> if I had to doc a new feature that needed to be added to an existing
guide
> or manual.

No. For such a small amount of work, there is no practical reason to write
a doc plan. Unless you need to satisify the weasel-like nitpicking of
bureaucratic buttheads, just do the work. Results speak much louder than
intentions.

If the doc turns into 5 chapters, as Steve Jong fears, then you do that
work as well. You are the technical writer, it is your job to write
documentation. If your superiors demand more work, then you should do it.
If they demand an unreasonable amount of work, then the problem is bad
managers or you failing to communicate with them. And a long, complex,
intricate doc plan won't help matters. You need to communicate in a matter
of fact manner...

PM: "I need you to do 5 more chapters"
YOU: That will add 4 weeks to the timeline.
PM: Thats not acceptable.
YOU: Then I cannot do 5 more chapters. We'll have to come up with a
different solution.

Writing an elaborate plan that is promptly shuffled off on to some file
server won't be any help. You have to handle situations right then an
there in a realistic and forthright manner.

Doc plans should always be used for you - not for others. They should give
you a road map, outline, and timeline. They should be a limited collection
of information that focuses you on working more efficiently. If you are
constantly writing CYA type doc plans, you're going to be treated like a
CYA type of employee. And generally, CYA people are the first out the door
in "belt tightening" times.

Andrew Plato

http://personals.yahoo.com