Resume question?

Subject: Resume question?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:30:31 -0500

Missed the start of this thread, so I hope I'm answering the right question!
<g>

In terms of whether to include experience that's unrelated to your
just change the "employment experience" heading to read "techwhirling work
experience". This focuses the reader's attention on the fact that you're
providing only what you consider to be relevant information, and implicitly
communicates the fact that you've omitted things that aren't relevant. This
is a particularly useful trick if you've accumulated enough experience over
the years that you're now struggling to fit your resume on 1 page (or at
most 2). In your cover letter, mention what you've done and indicate a
willingness to provide full details on the other jobs you've had and other
skills you bring to the table. For example: "I've focused my resume on the
specific job that you've advertised, and would be happy to discuss my other
experience with you".

A related trick (when you have too much experience to fit on one page) is to
focus on the experiences you're most proud of and simply omit the others:
the appropriate section headings then become some variant of "_selected_

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Signatures? We doan need no steenkeen' signatures!"