RE: entering tech writer field

Subject: RE: entering tech writer field
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:24:07 -0500

At 02:32 PM 19/11/2001 -0600, Tracy Boyington wrote:

I have to disagree, John. If the kid likes writing for humans, why
should he be pushed into writing for machines? I know several people who
selected a major based on income expectations and found out too late
that they really didn't like that area. If he already knows what he
likes, he's good at it, and can reasonably expect to make a living at
it, don't shove him in the direction of something else simply because
it's more lucrative. I could have been an engineer, or a cocaine dealer
for that matter, and made more money, but I would hate it and wouldn't
be the charming happy person I am today.

Also, his interest in the maths and sciences is almost nonexistent, and his grades reflect his lack of interest!

I've been steering Greg towards history/anthropology. His favourite high school courses have been history (and philosophy!). One of the universities to which he has applied has a combined history/business major; the other two both allow a major in history or anthropology with a minor in business... just to keep those feet at least in the vicinity of the ground!

It's been a hard sell here at home. I'm a chemical engineer, and so is my husband. It's been difficult for Greg's dad to accept that Greg will never be an engineer!

I always tell people that I think Greg would make the perfect museum curator. He loves telling people about STUFF! His knowledge of medieval weaponry is nothing short of astounding to me.

Thanks again, to everyone who responded, both on and offlist.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr