RE: Linux at work (real world)

Subject: RE: Linux at work (real world)
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:01:46 +1100

> Worse, we'd be
upgrading to 2K (which is what we wanted... just not for a
few more months, thankyew), for which support is to be
discontinued in three years.

Hang on - one minute three years of support aint enough for you - yet you
discuss moving to a platform with no/little native support?

That having been said, here's my vague plan as I discussed in the last HATT
Chat run by Leland and myself...

First, one of the most important changes to our industry and workflow is the
introduction of XML. Whatever tool from TODAY you pick, won't have adequate
XML support compared to products in 6 months time.

This functionality is being added to everything at the moment, so the actual
package becomes irrelevant. The point is, you will need to buy again inside
a year from a functional perspective anyway.

Secondly, ANY new program, whether KissMyAss XP or Pink Cap Eunuchs, needs
what I like to refer to as gamma testing - or real world performance usage.
9/10 we see 'patches' and 'upgrades' streaming out for 6 months - 2 years.
As the corporate motto goes, so does mine: after the 3rd major upgrade
(Service Pack, Release, Patch set - whatever) the product is finally nearing
stability and becoming fully functional - and thus is finally maybe worth
buying.

Melding this all together, I intend on 'struggling on' with Word 2K (no-one
belives me when I say it's a breeze so hey :-) ) for the next 6 months
MINIMUM. At that time I will examine the state of XML and see if the
technology definition has matured to a useful point yet, or whether I will
hold off another 6 months.

Additionally, at such time as XML has matured, I am assuming that
more-than-adequate support will be provided in Star/K-Office and it is this
specifically I shall be studying first. Additionally, if the support is
close I will more than likely help contribute to finishing it off - the
beauty of open-source development.

HTH:

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)