RE: Work harder, not smarter

Subject: RE: Work harder, not smarter
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:25:30 +1100

> Somebody wrote something to me today that I've heard thousands of times,
but it really hit me today seeing as how we're debating doc plans.

I guess the flipside to your rant is that I can't stand people who are
arrogant enough to think that there is no room for improvement. Its hard to
improve what you cannot (or refuse to) define. Let alone most of us are
employed by someone else who regularly wants some sort of report stating
what has been done, what is being done, and what will be done.

Plus the simplest way to improve Quality is to consistantly apply a process.

> You don't need a better mouse trap, you need cats that are dedicated to
catching mice. When those cats are focused they will catch mice. And
eventually, they will become so good at it, they will be infinitely more
efficient than any mouse trap.

The cats end up "infinitely more efficient" purely because, on their own
back, they investigate a variety of processes for catching mice, add a
relative weighting to the methodology based on the outcome and repeat.
Sooner or later their process stablises and they achieve consistant results.

Now, what we are doing can't be 'remembered' / 'documented' by our
instincts - as is the case in your analogy. Thus we need to write it down.
Additionally, if its written down another set of impartial eyes can be run
over it.

> Thats enough profundity for today. Hrain burts.

Uh huh. Very full-on list day.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)