Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME

Subject: Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:29:32 -0800

Megan Golding wrote:

My email client, Evolution from Ximian, claims it supports Palm device
synching, but I've never tried it (I prefer paper calendars, call me old
fashioned :). See
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/features.html for a
little more information.

About a year ago, I gathered some information on Palm support for an article. I never wrote the article, but I came across about half a dozen packages for Palm syncing, including kpilot (for the KDE desktop), gnome-pilot (for the GNOME desktop), and jpilot. All worked very well.

I haven't gotten my CD-RW working yet (more out of laziness) but I
maintain a dual boot machine at home. On the somewhat rare ocassions
when I need to burn a CD, I boot into Windows and run the CD software
from there.

One problem may be that some of the packages for CD burning require you to be logged in as root. Another may be that you need SCSI-emulationbuilt into the kernel.

Most sound cards work out ok. Especially just about anything from
SoundBlaster. Again, check the LHD. My sound card at the office just
isn't compatible...no driver exists at this time. This is a cheap piece
of HW, tho, so if I really wanted it, I'd go buy a new one.

I don't have much experience with sound cards, but this comment reminds me of another point to make: Linux configuration files are so easy to edit that you can get the hardware running with a few minutes of editing, even if the install program doesn't include an exact match. This is especially true of video cards and monitors. Get a basic installation up and running, edit the configuration file, and you're ready to roll.

"But here's the latest phrase you hear as you walk down the street,
Oh, you can't be up-to-date if you don't call out when you meet,
'Are you working?' 'No, are you?'"
-British Music Hall Song, 1922

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr