The hibernation of Synergistech

Subject: The hibernation of Synergistech
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:07:05 -0800

Folks (especially those in Northern California):

We have had a long-running, successful relationship with Andrew Davis and
Synergistech Communications. As those of us who have dealt with Andrew know, he
and his firm are one of the few Silicon Valley recruitment agencies that deal
in total honesty, integrity, and trust. As a result, his 'stable' has included
most of the most highly talented technical writers in the Bay Area. However
after a remarkably painful year, Andrew has decided to darken the doors. Here
is his official statement:

Synergistech Communications is officially in hibernation. We may 'wake up
again' if the economy returns to anything like a healthy state and I decide
that we can actually do clients *and* candidates some good. For now, we're
tired of trying to squeeze blood from stones. Eleven months of pure pain,
burning through $20K/mo minimum, was enough. Here's the statement we are
circulating with our holiday cards:

On 11/16/2001, Synergistech Communications suspended its full-service technical
publications recruiting activities due to weak economic demand.

While we?re hibernating, we?ll continue to reply to email and voicemail, and
(more significantly) to forward staff and contract employment listings to
candidates seeking work. Our listserver postings will include the hiring
manager?s name, employer, and full contact information, so candidates can apply
directly. Synergistech?s lead-forwarding service is entirely free to companies
as well as candidates.

Although we won?t market our services or seek remuneration from them while
recessionary pressures prevail, we hope to resume for-profit operations when
local economic conditions improve. Until that time, we encourage candidates to
avail themselves of the job-seeking resources in our Career Development Corner,
as well as the listings we forward on behalf of employers.

Regardless of whether you?re a hiring manager seeking access to over 1500 of
the best technical communicators in the Bay Area, or a candidate seeking staff
or contract employment, please continue to consider us your ally and allow us
to help you in the ways outlined above.

We regret not being able to assist you more actively at this time, and wish you
the best in all your professional pursuits.

- the Synergistech team

[This has been] a "sanity-saving" act because the toughest part, for me, has
been fielding calls from
people seeking work, hearing their tales of woe, knowing that their despair is
real, and wanting
so badly to help as well as instill some sense of hope. Not only am I now being
prevented from
helping in any synergistic way, but I honestly have lost hope that this
recession will resolve itself
to the benefit of most of these candidates for at least the next nine months.

I hope that helps you understand what's happened here. I'm loathe to let anyone
think that I'm
leaving the business forever. I may in fact be back, and to that end am
committed to keeping
our database current and our goodwill fueled. How many people do you know who
quit the
business they created but keep answering their business-related email and
voicemail, to say
nothing of forwarding job listings on behalf of/to their constituents?

- Andrew Davis, President (and only surviving employee)
Synergistech Communications, Inc.
Recruiting and Career Coaching Services for Technical Communicators

tel: (650) 344-2141 ext. 12
fax: (650) 344-5664
email: andrew -at- synergistech -dot- com
web: http://www.synergistech.com