RE: tech writing

Subject: RE: tech writing
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:30:28 -0000

Ashlei Woelk asked:
>I am in a technical writing/web design course. For our major project, we
are
>putting together a comprehensive web site that would be a resource for
>graduate level technical writing teachers teaching a course similar to the
>one we are taking. As part of this project I must compile a list of a few
>topics concerning technical writing on a web site that the professor might
>wish to cover in such a course. This is my first technical writing
course.
>Could anyone offer any advice on topics a professor would want to cover in
>such a course?

There are two answers to this.

(1) Your professor may already have such a list in mind. If s/he is the kind
of teacher who grants high marks only for the expected answer, you need to
check out your own curriculum and provide a list based on the list of topics
*you* are covering.

(2) Your professor wants you to do some original thinking and supply an
answer that will surprise, interest, tantalise, and intrigue her/him. If so,
I suggest you go poke around the http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ website
(I suggest this as a good starting point, absolutely not as the be-all and
end-all of your research), following links, taking notes, and outlining the
kind of technical writing curriculum you *wish* you were being offered.

Those are two extremes. The chances are that your professor falls somewhere
between the two: s/he expects some kind of "reasonable" curriculum, but is
hoping for some indication you have thought about it a little. But if it
were me, I would go for option 2 - it's a lot more fun, and most academics I
know, while they will give someone who goes for the safely correct answer a
safe pass mark, really enjoy reading an answer that isn't 100% the same as
everyone else's.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone. Apologies
for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith my
control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.