RE: Referring to Excel files--thanks!

Subject: RE: Referring to Excel files--thanks!
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:10:50 +1100

Spreadsheets existed well before any pc-based uber-calculator came along.
Accountancy almost single-handedly fueled mini-computer development. These
mini's were custom hardware/software solutions (until Wang made big inroads
in providing std hardware) that produced a report that existed for
accountants well before computers - a spreadsheet. Borrowing from the
'spreads' used in general publishing terms, it was a broad sheet printout
containing a particular view of the business.

(BTW: I was programming these minis before I left school as my father was an
accountant)

Thus I am somewhat annoyed at the MS language hijacking again. Sure, they
have an IT monopoloy - why do do we bow to their language dictates? They are
bad programmers, not great linguists. They want the word spreadsheet to
refer to the program or process that produces a spread sheet.

*kicks the msdn set*

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)

From: Earl Cooley

Laurel Robinson wrote:

> Why then doesn't Microsoft list the term Workbook in their Manual of
> Style?...it just says never use "spreadsheet". Argg......

That sounds really odd. Maybe it's that Lotus 1-2-3 has spreadsheets
trademarked or something (even though that would be hard to enforce)?