Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:55:12 -0800

Diane Evans wrote:

Our company produces an awesome multimedia player. You can see a sample at
our corporate website. A few companies (like one that is named after the
top floor of a skyscraper) have used our player for pornography. Does that
mean that I shouldn't give a software manual to these people?
There is a fine line here, and I am not quite sure where it is.

As I said, I'm just delineating my own boundaries, not suggesting that anyone else should follow them.

Perhaps the line has something to do with the primary purpose of the product? Presumably, your company's multimedia player is not intended primarily for pornography. Nor (assuming that anyone thought that the company should)is there likely to be any way to produced the player so that it won't show pornographic images. Under these circumstances, I doubt that your company would have much, if any ethical responsibility.

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed: head over heels all over the wall,
Humpty Dumpty was pushed: nobody noticed at all,
And all the king's horses and all the king's men
Gathered round Humpty and kicked him again;
And they called for a priest and a couple of friends,
And they all stood around and chanted, Amen."
-Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr