RE: Web Applications

Subject: RE: Web Applications
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:22:51 -0500

Some things to keep in mind when writing help for Web applications:

- You often have the opportunity to hook your own HTML-based help system
into the Web app. While this requires alot more work than just writing in
Frame and outputting a PDF, it lets you be more creative
- You should include links to online resources whereever possible since you
can assume that your users (usually) have internet access -- links to RFCs,
API docs, and helpful, topical web sites
- You can get access to how users actually use the application by analyzing
clickstream data (if it is available to you). This is like having usability
test studies at your fingertips. Check out log analyzers like WebTrends.
- There are still differences between the browsers (Netscape and IE), so you
should be mindful of that. And there are still differences between the
operating systems that the same browsers might run on, so be mindful of that
as well.
- You have a better opportunity to deliver up to date help files, FAQs and
whatnot through a web-app. Try getting the developers to build a help page
that will hook into a synchronization scheme so that help content can be
updated on the fly by the users.

HTH, matt