RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Harry Thompson" <hthompson -at- instranet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:19:08 +0100

When I was training as a TW we were asked to plan a project and prepare a
gnat chart. I spent hours preparing the thing and to make things clearer to
me colour coded the different elements. I was treated to a huge line through
the chart and a comment from the trainer "what if I were colour-blind!" I
pointed out that even if the person were colour-blind, they would still see
the differences.
Let's all chant, "Know your audience" though. My uncle was a bomb disposal
expert in Northern Ireland before retiring and I remember him telling me
that if you're colour-blind, you're not given the job in the first place.
Only in Hollywood is the manual left lying around for Bruce Willis to save
the world. And he wouldn't need to read it anyway, would he?
I'd add to the debate that I wouldn't want to work for a company that
documented movie cameras. Knowing that one day Sylvester Stallone might come
along and make Rambo IV would turn my stomach!
Harry
Not for long