Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:02:45 -0700

On a slightly unrelated note, a long while ago I worked in management (of
sorts) in two retail stores of huge international companies. Both positions
were in customer service. In one case (Sears, if it matters) the
instructions for dealing with both customers and vendors were simple. Ask
what the problem is, apologize, ask what they'd like us to do, and do it. I
never encountered a problem with higher management by following these
rules -- even when some circumstances strongly hinted that the company was
taking a bath.

In the other company -- which is deservedly out of business -- they had the
same basic "written" rules, but the practice was far different. I was
chewed out repeatedly for not screwing vendors whenever possible. This
problem was endemic, not just the ethical idiocy of a few people in one
store. I simply refused to knowingly cheat others. I'd give our company
every benefit of the doubt in a transaction or screw-up, but wouldn't cross
the line. It was suggested I depart. I did, gladly. They went out of
business nationwide within 7 months. (not that my presence was critical to
their success, but it's nice to think that...)

Anyway, ethics don't just apply to industries (porn bad, defense yuck) but
also to businesses with supposedly honorable industries. This was during a
recession, and it took a while to find a job, but it really meant something
to be able to sleep with a clear conscience.

Paul Strasser
Lafayette, CO