AW: Documenting an OEM product

Subject: AW: Documenting an OEM product
From: "Reng, Winfried" <winfried -dot- reng -at- msi-muenchen -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:56:09 +0100

Hi,

> I'm on my own and flying blind. My client develops telecom
> products that
> will be OEM'd to one or more resellers (who are likely to be
> very large
> companies). I'm producing "user" documentation that
> encompasses multiple
> audience levels and multiple task types. My question is this:
>
> Given that my documents will probably not be distributed in
> their native
> state, what are the most useful formats and doc structures
> for you writers
> out there who will get to "productize" my documents? In other words,

Our products are also sold by resellers and partners. But we
change layouts, product names etc. according to the specification
of the reseller. Our resellers get PDF files on CDs or printed
documentation as they like. They don´t get the original FM files.

I guess it depends on the contract.

If there aren´t any specific file formats or types of manuals
specified choose whatever you like.

Cheers,

Winfried