Re: Peer edits

Subject: Re: Peer edits
From: Victoria Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:26:20 -0800

Dave Stewart wrote:
"I've read about the benefits and challenges of peer editing, and I'm trying to come up with an initial list of items we should be looking for in each other's documents.

"Adherence to company style guidelines is a no-brainer, but are there additional items I should look for in other writers' documentation?"

Here's what I look forward to when a peer reads my work, and what I try to provide when I review another writer's stuff:

- A review of basic writing correctness: grammar, spelling, style guide consistency. This is not as good as a real editor (unless you get lucky), but can take the place of an edit when the editor hasn't gotten to me yet (as for an alpha or beta release).

- A review of (um) heuristics?: the other writers are technically savvy and intelligent, but haven't spent the time I have learning this particular chunk of the product. So if they cannot follow my presentation of the material, likely the customer won't either.

- A review of the document organization: similar to the last, and something that a technical reviewer will almost never notice. Checking whether the document's structure is logical and consistent.

- A review against the documentation plan: Ahem. I myself never leave things out, of course. :) But it can happen in the frenzy of a project that a planned section (chapter?) never gets written. Another writer will catch this. A technical reviewer almost never.

- A review of the technical content as it relates to other current projects. Our products are pretty large and technical, and typically have many projects feeding into a single major release. Often, another writer will see a connection between my material and his/hers of which I was unaware.

Hope this helps,
V.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr