RE: Writing for web applications

Subject: RE: Writing for web applications
From: Michele Marques <MarquesM -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:12:41 -0500

David Castro writes:

> One benefit that I also didn't see mentioned is that you can
> do really cool
> things with your documentation when it is web-based that you
> can't do when it
> resides on your users' computers. With web-based
> documentation, you can use
> server-side technologies to customize the documentation to
> the individual user,
> collect feedback via forms in your doc (aren't we always
> looking for ways to
> get more user feedback?), and much more.

Also, if you are providing context-sensitive web-based help, you can take
advantage of any cookies that the developers set and/or parse URLs from the
referrer (the app window from which help was requested) to do other nifty
things. For example, if your developer uses cookies to customize the app
window, you can use the same cookies to customize help.

A good relationship with the developer is helpful to determine what is
available to you. But the plus side is that the developer is often more
responsive to discussing the technologies he/she uses than discussing the
purpose of various functions/screens.

Michele Marques, Technical Communicator
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.