RE: Help on Procedure Writing

Subject: RE: Help on Procedure Writing
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:42:59 +1100

Generally User Manuals have instructions, not procedures. Procedures must
state who, what, where, when and why. Instructions tell How.

FWIW, a neato proc structure I developed to contain all relevant info is:

Scope (sometimes as simple as the title eg Eating Lunch in the Lunchroom.
Considerations (all the "Note:" and commenty type stuff)
Prerequisites (knowledge, equipment, task completion etc)
Authorisation (if different from the scope of the manual)
Procedure (preferably numbered when sequential)
Troubleshooting (include an experts # as well)
Related Documentation (duplicate in-line links from above, plus any others)
Records and Retentions (most procs require a Q record)

Also, you need to let us know what AUDIENCE you are writing for. That's the
crucial bit.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus) EyeSpring - the future of graphics has
been created.