Re: ADMIN: RE: Network Security Article Clarification

Subject: Re: ADMIN: RE: Network Security Article Clarification
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:29:58 -0600

>4) Andrew gets thanked for the article _and_ the clarification
>with a veritable chorus of sarcasm and rudeness.

In the interests of learning just what the heck is going on here, I went
back and reviewed the message traffic that I had skipped over. As far as I
can determine:

1) The "veritable chorus" was one message. A humorous one at that. I
discount the compliments to the post as they were clearly compliments to
the poster, not jumping on Andrew.

2) Andrew's own response to said message was either intended as humor, or
was a good example of a double standard, considering the tone of many of
his own posts to the list. There was no more name-calling in the Tracy's
post than in Andrew's commentary on various subjects which come up on the
list. (Such as certification, or having a process for writers to foloow,
or....do I *really* need to continue?) Knowing Andrew (though only from
previous email exchanges) I chuckled. Tracy skirted edge with what seems to
me to be as much aplomb as Andrew has in the past.

As for netiquette on this list: Most folks don't seem to have the slightest
idea what it is. I've gotten a lot of vituperative emails off-list for
daring to disagree. I *have* flamed in the past, and expect to do so in the
future. I will disagree with what's posted far more often than that, but
anymore, I don't care. I rarely let *anyone* on this list know when I
disagree with them anymore, because most people on this list can't tell the
difference between a disagreement and a fight, and it's frankly just not
worth putting up with idiocy like that.

The list is a good resource, but a lousy community. Sorry, I just don't
have the time to make it plain enough for you to understand without it
resembling a proverbial Blunt Instrument. You don't like it, hit delete now
'cause it's only going to get worse. When one is among friends, one can put
the "company manners" aside and let the mask everyone wears in public to
make themselves seem better than they are slip. Do that on this list and
you're immediately stoned (publicly, privately or both ways) by a bunch of
self-appointed behavior police. I group those who are
(annoyed/dismayed/insert word indicating displeasure) at the exchange
between Tracy and Andrew in that latter category, excepting Eric (who *is*
the behavior police).

I won't take the time (because I don't have it) to make my posted words
nice. I'm sure I'll offend people every time I put fingers to keyboard. You
folks who bemoan what you lose when someone stops posting because they were
disagreed with think on that for a while. How much have you lost by
insisting that all posts be antiseptically treated to remove all possible
disagreeable nuances from them? I don't advocate being rude, either by any
of your definitions of the term *or* my own (which are clearly not
congruent). What I *do* advocate is tolerance. Tolerance of the folks who
are Not Like You. Folks like Andrew. And Tracy. They're the taste in the
stew. Gruel is nutritious, yes. But tasty? Sadly, there is precious little
tolerance among the folks on this list.

And note now that we collectively have wasted several times more bandwidth
discussing what happened than the two involved did actually committing it.
But, as we haven't yet exceeded it by a couple orders of magnitude, I'm
sure we're Not Done Yet.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224