terminology for child window

Subject: terminology for child window
From: "Field, Kristin" <KField -at- LSAC -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:45:12 -0500

I need to pick your collective brains. What terminology would you use in an
end user manual when referring to a child window (a window that is accessed
by selecting a button, etc. from a main window). My end users are not
particularly computer savvy and they will not know what a child window is.
I need to refer to it because there is functionality that changes depending
on whether they are in a main window or a child window and this
functionality is not evident. I asked the reps that deal with the users the
most to see if they had any suggestions, but they could not come up with
anything. I also looked up some definitions of windows to see if they
incorporated information about child window or referred to them in some
other way, but came up empty. (I'm not even sure if technically they are
called child windows. I've heard them called this by our development team.)

Kristin D. Field
Technical Communicator/Proofreader
Law School Admission Council