Re: When document writing does not have or follow guidelines...

Subject: Re: When document writing does not have or follow guidelines...
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 14:54:34 -0800

Ellen Vanrenen wrote:

> Therefore, I am asking all you experienced (and apparently well-paid)
> professionals how you would go about managing this situation. What would you
> do first (point out that we do have defined styles they could limit
> themselves to)? In what order would you tackle the obvious projects you need
> to work on:
> 1. naming conventions
> 2. formalized directory structure
> 3. templates

Ellen:

First, you need to provide a common format for these documents and you need it
fast. Second, you need a common way of storing things so that people can easily
find what they need. However, like Andrew, I feel that the less time spent on
these kinds of housekeeping details, the better. You have more important things to
do.

Were I in your shoes, I would:
1. Establish templates, as fast as possible. This means taking something that
works, modifying what in it doesn't work well, and establishing that as a
template. Or maybe even THE template. Minimize the number of different templates
your group will be using. I would spend no more than 4 hours on this, preferably
less.
2. Establish naming conventions, again as fast as possible. No more than 2 hours
on this, preferably less.
3. Set up the directory structure you want to use. Again, no more than 2 hours on
this, preferably less.

Your aim in these activities is to simply establish a consistent order, one where
people can easily find what they're looking for. I stress*simply* because now is
not the time for perfection. What the other project members need is something easy
to understand and quickly implemented. And they need it now. You can 'make it
pretty' later when you have time to breathe.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems