Re: no degree equals demotion

Subject: Re: no degree equals demotion
From: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:06:36 -0500

EP,

One possibility is to ask the HR person to change the job description of the next step above "Junior Technical Writer" to account for people who don't have Bachelor's degrees. Many job descriptions append the phrase "or equivalent experience" to their requirement for a certain degree. So the job description for a "Technical Writer" or "Senior Technical Writer" or what have you would call for a person with a "Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience."

I agree that a degree shouldn't have much to do with a person's level in an organization. One of the most senior and knowledgeable security consultants in my company doesn't have a college degree, and she rocks! Besides, it isn't to HR's advantage to box themselves in too much with their job descriptions. What if a qualified senior person who is the perfect fit comes along for another job, but doesn't have a degree? You should emphasize that the flexibility is to the company's advantage.

HTH,

Dawson

From: EP Leigh <EPLeigh -at- bust -dot- com>

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience. Because of this title change I will not be getting the adjustment that everyone else will receive.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr