When document writing does not have or follow guidelines...

Subject: When document writing does not have or follow guidelines...
From: "Cara O Sullivan" <cara_osullivan -at- modusmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:39:37 -0700

Ouch, Ellen. I feel for you. This is exactly what I faced when I started
this position six months ago. I think someone else already recommended the
following order, and I agree with them:

1. Do the template first. From this you can build your style guide later.
Provide some very simple, straightforward instructions if any non-writers
must do writing. I can email you a sample of this from Ms. Baer, another
subscriber on this list who gave me hers as an example. (This list is great:
I'm totally devoted to it!).
2. Organize youself with a version control system and a standad directory
structure. You're going to need it in a fast-paced environment.
3.. Keep a notebook out on your desk or a file open into which you can write
or type company termininology. You can then meet with others to figure out
the standard meanings, spelling, and other treatments.

Good luck and hold on to your hat!

Cara O'Sullivan
Documentation Writer
Testing & Deployment Group
Global Development, Modus Media International
Orem, Utah
Ph. 801-431-8550