Re: Politeness in editing (was: When the thesaurus attacks...)

Subject: Re: Politeness in editing (was: When the thesaurus attacks...)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:30:56 -0800

Foster, Willow wrote:

While I agree that edits can and should be written in a tactful way, I hate
it when I find little good-for-you comments all over my books. When someone
edits my stuff they are supposed to find the things I miss, not make me feel
good.
If the editor is competent, he or she isn't necessarily trying to make you feel good. Instead, they may be trying to signal that your wording, or the structure in the passage works, and you should try to imitate it elsewhere. In other words, it may not be a feel-good exercise; it may be positive feedback0 (in the cybernetic sense of an encouragement to do more of the same behavior)

"I was close to understanding, I never felt so fine
The angels leave on horseback, but the devils are all mine,
I knew I'd live forever, I was flying down the years
Till I heard the sound of morning, breaking glass around my ears."
-OysterBand, "This Town"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr