Linking Excel sheets in Word?

Subject: Linking Excel sheets in Word?
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:17:26

I am attempting to solve a problem for someone, involving Excel sheets in a Word document. The documents are job proposals, with several sections, and the Excel sheets tally up various expenses, hours, etc., throughout the document. I was asked whether it is possible to link the sheets within the Word dcoument, so their totals would tally up in one grand total sheet.

I'm not very proficient in Excel, but I assume that, as one file can have several sheets, it is possible to total them all on a summary sheet. But these users want to populate the tables as they work in Word.

I looked around a few sources, and it seems that the linking feature allows the user in Word to link to sheets in an Excel file. So I'm betting that we could set up the Excel file to have a grand total sheet, and link to that in the Word document. The users could work in the Word doc, and update the linked Excel file - sort of like working in Excel via a back door - and then the grand total sheet would tally in Excel and update in Word.

I think. We have yet to try it.

But their next question was, is it possible to total up the grand-total sheets across several files in Word, into one summary Word file?

I found nothing in the Microsoft support sites, nor in this group's archives. Does anyone have experience working with an objective like this?

Thanks,

- A

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our alomst 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr