Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias

Subject: Re: On Avoiding Gender Bias
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:04:48 -0700

Anila <AnilaA -at- ibsplc -dot- com> wrote:

> I have often read that one should avoid gender bias in writing.
<snip>
> Which one of the following would you prefer?
>
> Anyone who wishes to avail of this facility should bring his ID
> card.......
> Anyone who wishes to avail of this facility should bring his/her ID
> card.......
> All who wish to avail of this facility should bring their ID
> cards.......
> One who wishes to avail of this facility should bring one's ID
> card.......

Several respondents have made good suggestions. In order of my preference:

-- Use 2nd person. If you want your readers to bring their IDs, tell them
*directly*: "Bring your ID."

-- If you *must* use 3rd person (you're describing an action performed by
someone other than the reader), use plural: "Visitors must show their IDs."

-- Or restate the noun: "Verify that the visitor's ID has the visitor's face
on it."

No one has mentioned another problem with all the alternatives Anila
presented: "To avail" is a *transitive* verb, and thus requires an object,
specifically, the recursive yourself, himself, herself, or themselves.

IMO, it's also an ill-considered and awkward attempt to sound overly formal.
Do you also write "Avail yourself of the mouse to express a preference for
the option you desire"? ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs -at- free-market -dot- net
303-777-0436
------

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our alomst 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr