RE: Quality of source material from Development

Subject: RE: Quality of source material from Development
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:59:42 -0800 (PST)

--- Salan Sinclair wrote...

> I asked a question in my attempt to produce quality documentation as
> efficiently as possible.
> You are using the question to grandstand yet again.

I gave you a pretty straightforward answer: if you want to produce quality
documentation as efficiently as possible you should possess detailed
technical knowledge of the products your company makes. That is the only
aspect of tech writing that can make writers truly more competent. Tools,
processes, or more effective project management are all icing on the crap
flavored cake. Eventually somebody has to dock their rock in the chair and
peck out the manuals.

> Yes, Andrew, some writers complain a lot.
> Whether they complain *too much* is a matter of debate.
>
> Yes, Andrew, some writers are less technical than you are.
> Whether they should *all* be as technical as you are is a matter of
> debate.

I love how you're pointing this back at me.

This isn't about "are you as tech as me." Its about knowing your company,
its products, its technologies, and its market well enough that you can
efficiently transfer information into documentation. You have repeatedly
demanded that the SMEs perform this aspect of your job, leaving you with
what responsibility? Fonts and commas I assume. I mean if the SMEs do all
the "thinking" for you, whats left? Project management? Status reports?
STC meetings? Complaining to TECHWR-L?

> Yes, Andrew, some writers have a different approach to documentation
> than
> you do.
> Whether you have the *best* and *only* approach is a matter of debate.

Yes, all of these are matters of debate. And apparently you don't want to
debate any of them. So what do you want?

> Please, get over it, and try to offer something new and constructive.

Here is something new and constructive:

If I was a development manager and the tech writers on my team demanded to
remain ignorant about the products we make, those writers would have a
choice: get competent in the technologies or leave the company.

The way I see it, if you work for a company you have a responsibility to
know that company's products and technologies inside and out. Otherwise,
why on earth would a company hire you?

Andrew Plato

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com