RE: Web Site Controls

Subject: RE: Web Site Controls
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:03:21 -0500

Steve,

I am not sure there is enough information in your question to answer it. At
a minimum, anyone responding to this question needs to know:

Web server
Operating System
Budget -- and as a related issue, expected traffic on the site
Need for robustness -- just how sensitive are the documents
Programming level of expertise of person implementing solution
Who will administer application once it is implemented

In other words, it might be helpful to change hats and become a project
manager for a little while before trying to get an answer to your question.

In either case, I don't see why you need extra software to accomplish this.
While it's non-trivial, it's also not impossible to implement a reasonable
security scheme with JavaServer Pages or similar technology and a database
that can store users and permission levels.

I fear that there are too many details left out of your request for
information for my suggestions to be any help. And I also fear that this may
be the wrong forum to do so.

matt