RE: Web Site Controls

Subject: RE: Web Site Controls
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:15:12 -0800

I would think that just about any _portal_ software should be able to
accomplish this. But you should find out what server-side functionality you
already have. There may be a solution that presents itself based on what you
have in place already.

For instance, the .com in your sig--Raqia Networks--appears to be running
Apache 1.3 with Front Page Extensions from a Linux server. I think you can
restrict user access to pages via FP extensions. I found the following
blurb:

[ Taken from the FrontPage98 Server Extensions Resource Kit ...
The FrontPage Server Extensions are a set of programs on the Web server that
support:

<snipped>
Administering FrontPage webs. For example, a FrontPage web administrator can
specify which users can administer, author or browse a FrontPage web.
<snipped>

This may not match your version of the FP extensions, but it's worth
checking out. I know almost nothing about FP extensions, so please don't
rely on what I say about them. My main point is that your solution may be
driven by what you have in place already.

Good luck.

Richard Smith

> We would like to force visitors to our web site to fill out a
> registration form before being allowed to view some of our more
> sensitive documents. Additionally, we would like the authority to grant
> or deny the viewing of other documents based on information provided by
> said registration form. Someone with authority would view the form and
> permit or deny, by providing a password or sending a denial page.
> Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf, programs to accomplish this?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our alomst 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr