Technical Writer Questions

Subject: Technical Writer Questions
From: Steve Lefevers <scl -at- pcisys -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:41:03 -0700

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS: scl -at- pcisys -dot- net

I have been employed in the Telecommunications-Networking industry but was
recently
laid off. I am a writer and author. I live in Colorado Springs, CO. Since
I?ve been laid off I?ve been looking for some other job opportunities and
there seems to be a good demand for Technical Writers.

>From what I?ve heard the pay is fairly decent (Entry Level $15 to $20 an
Hour) and almost all the Technical Writer Jobs are Contract Jobs and last
3-6 months. True or False?

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

I signed up (at a local college) for 2 Technical Writing Classes (Spring
Semester)
Each course runs 1 hour - 2 nights a week from January thru May.

The Professors teaching the classes are Technical Writers
(Free-Lance-Contract) who do this for a living.

Class # 1 ? teaches you RoboHelp ? you use RoboHelp on a pc at class.
The Textbook is ?THE PROFESSIONAL WRITER? by ALRED

Class # 2 ? teaches you Microsoft Frontpage - you use MS Frontpage on a pc
at class.
The 2 Textbooks are:
?TECHNICAL WRITER?S COMPANION? by ALRED
?DESIGNING EFFECTIVE WEBSITES? by EILOLA-JOHNSON

I?ve heard that most Technical Writing Jobs require you to have experience
with both RoboHelp and Microsoft Frontpage. These are 2 of the most
important programs.

Therefore if I do good in both of these classes, would I be qualified to get
a decent Technical Writing Job?

I have a few Questions.

Is there a demand for Technical Writers? If so, will there be a steady
demand for Technical Writers over the next 5 years?

Is the average pay $15 to $20 an Hour?

Are all Technical Writer Jobs 3 to 6 month Contract Jobs or are there also
permanent jobs?

Would these 2 classes give me a sufficient foundation to get a Technical
Writing Job, or will I need to take more classes and learn more programs?

The RoboHelp Program costs about $1900. I can?t afford to buy it and put it
on my home pc to practice. MS Frontpage costs about $140. The classes last
3 months.
After I graduate, I can?t afford to buy either program and install it on my
home pc so I can continue practicing with the 2 programs at home. I wonder
if the 3 months of hands-on practice with the 2 programs in class will give
me enough expertise to
get a Job?

Can you get a Technical Writing Job with training in just these 2 programs
(RoboHelp, Microsoft Frontpage) or do you need training in other programs
also?
If so, What and How many other programs do you need to learn in order of
priority?

What are your top 10 (economical or free) sources for quality information on
Technical Writing?

What are the best books available on Technical Writing?

Thanks for your help
Steve (an aspiring Technical Writer)