RE: shaded graphics and color depth

Subject: RE: shaded graphics and color depth
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:02:52 +1100

We use GIF all the way for the .hlp. Mind, now in-office color printing has
come of age...

Now grayscale is an interesting beastie. It gives much better results than
full color GIF on both color and black & white printers. Your next choice is
"What DEPTH of grayscale" to use. Do we use 4 bits, as 2^4=16 gray colors is
sufficient for my pikky and cop GREAT compression, or do we use 8 bits or
even 24 (3 channel grayscale). Now 24 is usually crazy UNLESS you wanted to
do a nice photo in B&W. Your 24 bit grayscale would be comparable in size to
the 24 bit color but would reproduce much better on all printers.

You left out color vector art from your grid - used for logos and complex
diagramming.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)
EyeSpring - the future of graphics has been created.