Best software for web site development?

Subject: Best software for web site development?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:43:09 -0500

Chris L reports: <<My boss wants to create a web site up and has asked me
which software would work best. I don't know anything about this end of the
technology. I suppose FrontPage or HTML are the top two choices, correct?>>

Frontpage is a useful tool for beginners, and has some reasonably powerful
features for pros, but there are lots of other tools out there; head over to
www.pcmag.com and search their review archives for descriptions of the main
tools. HTML is the underlying technology for Web pages, not software for
designing the page, and it's important that you learn the difference. If
you're starting from scratch, and really want to produce a Web site that
will be of any use to anyone and that won't be an embarrassment to your
company and yourself, spend some time learning about Web design _before_ you
worry about what tools to use. This isn't a question that can easily be
answered in a couple of paragraphs, and it isn't a field that you can master
with a few minutes of advice. You'll be much happier with the work and do a
much better job if you can find someone local who is capable of teaching you
about Web design. One excellent place to look is http://www.webgrrls.com/
because even though they're mostly focused on helping women learn about Web
technologies and design, I've heard that they also accept men at their
occasional meetings and talks. Worth a shot?

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."-Kim Roper