Re: best software for web site development

Subject: Re: best software for web site development
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:27:40 -0500

Jane Carnall wrote:

> > Which are the top two software programs for web development?
>
> Can I suggest you take a look at Philip and Alex's Guide ...
>
> http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/
>
> (Philip is the one on the left.)

An excellent suggestion.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the many online resources on website
design. One of my favorities is Nielsen's column. One example:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990502.html

That site has many other columns, most of them worth reading, IMHO. This
list's archive has discussions of some of them, including contributions
from people who think Nielsen completely wrong about various things.

Get a reference book on HTML, the language used for web pages. Consider
also looking at XML, the newer language which is beginning to replace it.
I find the O'Reilly "Definitive Guide to HTML" by Musciano and Kennedy
excellent.

My approach to web design emphasises readability with any browser:
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

Methinks a site should also work properly with cookies, java and javascript
disabled in the browser. Many users do this for security reasons, and many
commercial sites go belly up if you do that.

I wouldn't consider using either Word or Frontpage, because in my view
they pollute the output with Microsoft crud that does not belong on the
web. Of course, this view is controversial. See the list archives for
extensive discussion, including info on how to clean up Word HTML.

Consider Amaya, the free browser/editor from W3C, the standards body
for the web:
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

That has everything you need to build a web site, except for graphics,
music or animation development.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr