Re: Users vs. usage

Subject: Re: Users vs. usage
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:12:58 -0800 (PST)

> In this case, if it becomes necessary to include a comma after the
> quote-enclosed text (for the sake of the appropriate pause needed
> in the
> sentence describing the step to be taken), would you prefer to
> place it inside or outside of the quote marks?
>
> Grammar indicates it should go inside the quotes, clarity indicates
> it should go outside the quotes.

No question...comma goes outside of the quote. If the quote is my
signal of what to enter in the field, and a comma is inside the
quote, it gets entered.

Grammar rule doesn't sapply here as you aren't using the quote for
its grammatical purpose of quoting someone. It's purpose is the same
as a bracket [ ] and you wouldn't consider placing the comma inside
the bracket, would you?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr