RE: best software for web site development (suggestion)

Subject: RE: best software for web site development (suggestion)
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:11:00 -0500

Chris:

There are many tools for Web site development. You will get recommendations
for Dreamweaver, GoLive, and Front Page I'm sure.

Best advice I can give you -- learn HTML first. Don't start your journey by
learning one tool, but by learning to hand-code. Learn the tags and what
HTML can -- and can't -- do.

Understanding what is going on with the HTML will help you when your tool
later fails you... Or, you may find that you like the hand coding so much
you skip the tool (for most things)!

I use GoLive (5/Win) and I really like how it manages the Web site
(upload/uploadmodified/download). But, it won't always give me the layout
that I want. While GoLive has a lot of palettes, and can even drop in some
pretty jazzy script, sometimes it won't do exactly what I want it to do.

So, when I need to I can just go into the HTML code and write it how I want
it. GoLive then uses what I have entered and I can move on.

If I didn't know HTML, I would be stuck with the tool's capabilities and
palette choices. Don't let yourself get in that position!

Good luck,

Kay

Kay Ethier
FrameMaker Expert & Trainer
BRIGHT PATH SOLUTIONS
100 Park Drive, Suite 102
PO Box 14265
Research Triangle Park NC 27709-4265
PHONE: 919.244.8559
FAX: 919.558.2183
http://www.travelthepath.com
mailto:kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com