Re: Run a PC remotely

Subject: Re: Run a PC remotely
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:46:06 -0800 (PST)

"John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:133487 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Crossposted to Techw-l (with Eric's permission) and HATT
> --------
>
> Hi, guys...been using something that has saved my butt a few times. I
> have no stake in the company, no money is received, and have not been
> contacted by them to promote them. Just wanted to pass it along.
>
> I've been using a service called GoToMyPC, found at
> http://www.gotomypc.com/
>
> What it allows you to do is access a PC (in this case, my home) from
> anywhere (such as work) with only a browser. Access includes not only
> upload and download files, but to actually run the application on the
> remote PC.

Hacky hacky. These programs are cool...but they are security hole waiting
to be exploited. However, this gotomypc looks pretty good. At least it
uses an SSL channel which is a bit safer. But it has to open up a port
somewhere, and that means something to try to latch on to a brute force
hack.

Be careful.

Andrew Plato

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr