RE: Users vs. usage

Subject: RE: Users vs. usage
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:40:43 -0000

>I would like to submit a nit for picking (sort of a brief survey):
>I'm seeking a view of where the opinions lie, proportionally along the
>continuum, mostly as a gauge for future encounters of this nature. I keep
>stubbing my toe on this incarnation of the usage necroequine, so I figure I
>may have lost perspective by now.

Always a problem, and still more so if you expect this list to restore it to
you. We eat dead horses for breakfast.

Would recommend this reference to you:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Hacker-Writing-Style.html

and, if this isn't helpful, at least it might give you a chuckle (an
exchange between airline pilots and a control tower):

Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7."
Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way, after
we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."
Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7.
Did you copy that report from Eastern?"
Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; and yes, we
copied Eastern and we've already notified our caterers."

Jane Carnall
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith
my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr